google-site-verification: google74d5b16f09ff5ea2.html Educate me on the CL600....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Educate me on the CL600....

Senior Member Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    FWIW - I think the front end of the 07+ CL looks too much like a Dodge Durango. The 2000-2006 W215 is a timeless body that will never look truly dated.
    Thought of the Day: "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Tagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    These cars also do not have limited slip differentials - the use the traction control to give the illusion of limited slip. Limited slip can be added; BUT this is a Catch 22. Which the stock rear end, the tires will spin. If you have an LSD and sticky tires a GOOD launch can have you buying parts...just keep this in mind before you set the drag strip on fire.

As for the brakes - the stock ones are OK. They can adequately stop the car from almost any speed in a "reasonable" distance. But, it's still a 2+ ton car...it doesn't defy physics. Basically, don't get the CL600 confused with a Gallardo and everything will be ok. There are upgrade brake options out there, but I personally never saw the need for better brakes on this car.
    Two real good points here my friend:

1. I know of WAY too many guys that broke axles and pinion gears with just adding drag radials. Now Ahmad has assured me that with true bias ply wrinkle slicks should not do this, but I am too scared, read shriveled up sack here, LOL

2. The brakes are adequate, but DON'T try to track her, at 5000 pounds+ I only had three laps at beaverun before the dreaded pedal to the floor routine. Don't kid yourself her as she is just TOO heavy.

Overall, I LOVE my S600 and definthely get the AMG package, aka the show goodies that REALLY make her stand out.
    Last edited by mramg1; 04-30-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Recommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdriveThree FriendsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Posting AwardMaster Tagger
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mramg1 View Post
    Two real good points here my friend:

1. I know of WAY too many guys that broke axles and pinion gears with just adding drag radials. Now Ahmad has assured me that with true bias ply wrinkle slicks should not do this, but I am too scared, read shriveled up sack here, LOL

2. The brakes are adequate, but DON'T try to track her, at 5000 pounds+ I only had three laps at beaverun before the dreaded pedal to the floor routine. Don't kid yourself her as she is just TOO heavy.

Overall, I LOVE my definthely get the AMG package, aka the show goodies that REALLY make her stand out.
    Have you blown any coils yet? I hear those cost about 2K.

Mahle Forged SLR pistons, Ported race heads, 725cc injectors, Custom fuel rail, 8AN fuel ine and bosch 044 inline pump, UPD beltwrap kit and 83mm SC pulley, 190mm CP, 3000 stall converter, custom Headers, ASP idlers, 82mm TB, EC tune, Trunk tank w/ rule 2000 pump , Aux. HE, Mezire pump, aluminum rotor hats, 08 Vet battery.

Tagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic-Metal View Post
    Have you blown any coils yet? I hear those cost about 2K.
    Nope!!!

Coming up on year 3 of my tune as well!!!!

PS: They are closer to $2500 OUCH!!

Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    I can buy coils for +/- $900 each new from an M-B dealership (not parts.com, overstock.com, ebay.com, cheapv12ttparts.com, etc).

50k miles or 5 years seems to be their lifespan...drained/dead batteries also seem to have an affect on them.
    Thought of the Day: "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

I can buy coils for +/- $900 each new from an M-B dealership (not parts.com, overstock.com, ebay.com, cheapv12ttparts.com, etc).

50k miles or 5 years seems to be their lifespan...drained/dead batteries also seem to have an affect on them.
    Mine quoted me 1200 each?

Please don't say 50,000 as I just passed that!!!

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Mine quoted me 1200 each?

Please don't say 50,000 as I just passed that!!!
    The older original ones are not as good, they revised them at one point to last longer. What year and model is your car ?

Are you still on the original coil packs ?
    2003 CL600 V12TT - SPEEDRIVED ECU / TCU, AMG Package, AMG Brake Package, Muffler Delete, Star and Links Lowered, Car Diet - Down 70lbs and counting....

1994 E500 - Sold
    1995 E320 Cab - Sold
    1988 BMW M6 - Sold
    1994 E320 Cab - Sold

Original coil packs historically have not made it much past 50k-ish miles...however, there are always exceptions to the "rule". It seems like many of these cars are not daily drivers; which I believe hurts them.

Also, the reason you were quoted $1200 is because you don't get the sweet deal I get. I can probably help you out, but shipping would be involved...are you going to do the work yourself when the time comes?

Original coil packs historically have not made it much past 50k-ish miles...however, there are always exceptions to the "rule". It seems like many of these cars are not daily drivers; which I believe hurts them.

Also, the reason you were quoted $1200 is because you don't get the sweet deal I get. I can probably help you out, but shipping would be involved...are you going to do the work yourself when the time comes?
    CAr is an 04, and NO is NOT a DD.

And YES I will do it myself, and maybe an intercooler upgrade from Speedriven.

Good, both side coil packs should take under 2 hours. Maybe longer if you plan on new spark plugs at the same time.

Good, both side coil packs should take under 2 hours. Maybe longer if you plan on new spark plugs at the same time.
    Yup, plugs incluced.

PS: Just left Bobby Rahal MB, they quoted me $3K for parts and labor, LOL And that was without the plugs

Tagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points

Blog Entries
    Yup, plugs incluced.

PS: Just left Bobby Rahal MB, they quoted me $3K for parts and labor, LOL And that was without the plugs
    Good to know, as I would like to pick up a CL65 at some point. I hear the newer v12`s also blow coils during tuning? Rumor or truth?

You guys probably already know, but there is a fairly detailed DIY guide with pictures on here for changing your coil pack.

Let me know if you need me to get you cheaper parts - they will have to be shipped, my discount is only "valid" at one M-B dealer.

Pilot: ALL 2003-2006 M275 powered cars have coil pack issues. It doesn't matter if they are stock and driven only to the golf course on Sunday's by a 90 year old 20 mph driver (to be honest, it seems like the more the car is NOT driven, the greater the likelyhood that it will have coil pack issues) or if it's tuned to within 1 psi of it's life and driven like a free go cart.

The only thing that does seem to be an issue is letting the battery die. Seems like many cars have issues after multiple dead batteries (maybe it's the jump starts, I don't know).
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 05-02-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Good to know, as I would like to pick up a CL65 at some point. I hear the newer v12`s also blow coils during tuning? Rumor or truth?
    A certain someone, started SAID RUMOR, about coils blowing during tuning, and it is complete BS.

Many, yes MANY people that I know have had their V-12's tune with no coil failure. Bottom line is that the coil packs DO fail, but it is NOT tune related, as I have been going strong for almost 3 years now. Let alone others that have been running strong as well.

Please, talk to the people in the know before hering BS from a few, IMHO.

The tune DOES NOT blow the packs, FWIW

Sorry to bring back from the dead but it looked like some real knowledge here so wanted to ask you guys a question if I could.

I have an 06 CL600, 42k miles and the left bank went out. replaced it and plugs knowing the right bank will be shortly(so I thought). Did the work, drove it, ran like a raped ape for 2 pulls, then right bank went out. Replaced right bank and those plugs. During right bank replacement, I broke the damn nipple on the MAP sensor attached to the passenger side I/C, so chased one down at Autozone and put it on today. Car started perfectly, purrs like a kitten, definitely is not pulling hard. After 3k RPMs feels like a V6. I think perhaps the MAP sensor isn't up to par so I ordered the MB part which will be here Tuesday. I pulled codes and nothing at all, feels like it's pulling timing/boost. Any thoughts?

Regards

+ Reply to Thread