google-site-verification: google74d5b16f09ff5ea2.html DVD Audio in the car
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DVD Audio in the car

DVD Audio in the car

Hey guys,

Wanted to put the word out that if you want a nice audio source in the car, DVD Audio is possible.

I've had a DVD-capable NTG1 COMAND from the UK for a while, and while DVD Videos are nice to have, I really wanted some high-quality music available as well. The iPod interface is built poorly, it uses the AUX input so you end up going digital -> analog -> digital -> analog before you hear anything. Plus the iPod can only do 24 bit at 44Khz maximum. CDs are 16 bit at 44.1Khz.

DVD Audio varies, but I was lucky enough to get a hold of a great album - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - in 24 bit at 96Khz. It took some tinkering, but I burned it to a DVD in the proper format, and the COMAND does indeed take it and play it. The sound is fantastic, there is a lot of detail that comes out.

Next I'll try NIN's The Downward Spiral, that one is in full 5.1 surround, not stereo like the Pumpkins album. Surround movies sounded great in a car where you're properly surrounded by speakers, so I'm expecting good things.

Mike

completed retrofits: xenon, bluetooth, ipod kit, euro comand, navigation, euro power-folding mirrors, vented/dynamic seats, rear power window shade, rear door shades, illuminated door sills, power trunk lid, voice control
    mods: heat exchanger, coolant pump, upper spacers, tune, star lowering

That sounds interesting, would you share what the proper DVD format was and what program or how you were able to get to that point?

I used lplex to get from FLAC to a DVD structure, it then uses a bundled mkisofs to build the .iso file for burning, and burned with ImgBurn.

lplex: http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/

I did have some skipping while playing the album today, but I think that might be because I burned to a dual-layer (it was all I had around). It is also possible that the lens has some dust and needs cleaning, because video DVDs skip sometimes as well.

completed retrofits: xenon, bluetooth, ipod kit, euro comand, navigation, euro power-folding mirrors, vented/dynamic seats, rear power window shade, rear door shades, illuminated door sills, power trunk lid, voice control
    mods: heat exchanger, coolant pump, upper spacers, tune, star lowering

+ Reply to Thread